Once we set our minds on an idea, our brain works hard to uphold that belief. Like in this video, if we think that drivers of red sports cars are jerks, we’ll easily gather evidence to support that.
One solution to counter this confirmation bias is to practice a scientific method mindset. Focus on evidence that would disprove our viewpoint.
6 other methods are:
- Ask Specific and Disconfirming Questions of Your Sources
- Test Your Assumptions
- Use Controlled Experimentation
- Argue for the Opposite Choice
- Create a Safe Environment for Constructive Dissent
- Use an Outside View First, Then Adjust With the Inside View
I explore these in my article “Seeing Red: 7 Ways to Overcome Your Confirmation Bias” @ https://andamaninspirations.com/2018/04/26/seeing-red-7-ways-to-overcome-your-confirmation-bias/
Learn better decision-making, leadership, & other soft skills @ Soft Power Skills Academy.
https://www.softpowerskills.com#SoftPowerSkills #Nspyr #InspireEmpowerChange